Monday, January 30, 2012

On Writing Blog 3

   I must say, I have truly enjoyed this book! I'm not going to lie; at first, I was a bit worried that I was going to dislike this book, but I have been pleasantly surprised! The third and final "section" of the book really tied together everything King was trying to say.
   I really liked all of his tips and found most of them useful. I like the idea of the "IR". I think through all of my previous writing experiences and, somewhere in the back of my mind, I actually was writing "to" someone I just never put the thought into the thought enough to realize that this was a habit. At first I thought the idea of an ideal reader to be... Well, dumb. But the more I've mulled it over in my mind, I realize that writing to an intended IR is actually a very good tool to put into practice and to have in the mental toolbox.
  Another piece of advice that I found extremely helpful is the part where King said starting of with a theme and writing with thematics is "a recipe for bad writing". King says that a good story will write itself. I think that for young and aspiring writers it can be easy to get lost in figurative language and complex grammar and actually lose sight of the story. And, after all, isn't the story what creative writing is all about?

No comments:

Post a Comment