Tuesday, January 24, 2012

State of the Union 2012

    Obama mentions the economy post-WWII. I think his comparison is neat and I hope that our economy comes back the way it did after the war, but only stronger. Our country is in trillions of dollars of debt and the thought of paying that colossal debt is daunting; HOWEVER, I believe that with the correct leadership America can take the correct steps in bringing up the economy and not having so much debt.
    One thing that I agreed with the President on is bringing jobs back into the country. I was unaware that big companies and corporations caught tax break for taking their business overseas and was equally unaware that the loyal companies whose business remained in America were taxed more than those who were overseas ("one of the highest tax rates in the world")! That just sounds absolutely ludicrous and straight up wrong. I would think that it would make more sense to do the taxes just the opposite. I think by encouraging American companies to operate in America Americans would have more job opportunities (but then again, what do I know?). From what I can understand, I think that's what Obama was saying, too. However, I understand that by re-allotting taxes, that, in the end, America could lose money and that the whole tax-money-and-stuff system is quite complicated and that my understandings may be skewed (but I'm trying be familiar with the whole system). 
    Obama says that he thinks everyone should all abide by the same tax rules, or a progressive/graduated income tax. This is in a way a contradiction to his statements about the companies operating in America and the ones operating overseas. In essence, shouldn't the different companies have to pay based on their profits and not where they choose to operate? 
    I read a copy of the transcript and did not watch the speech on TV. I found it amusing that I could pick out where people were supposed to clap. I also found it strategic that Obama would drop in phrases such as "as long as I'm the President, I will..." to begin his campaigning for the next presidential election.

No comments:

Post a Comment